Tuesday 23 April 2024

Two Snakes

Pasir Ris Park in Singapore is a good place to see snakes. On my very first visit, I saw an Oriental whip snake (reported here), and on my next trip, we saw a paradise tree snake. It was chilling on a wooden railing – hard to miss, really.

Paradise tree snakes are also known as flying snakes, because they can flatten their bodies and glide from tree to tree. I was hoping to see it glide, but this particular snake eventually crawled onto a tree and disappeared into the bushes.

So I have a 100% success rate at Pasir Ris Park so far – two trips, two snakes. But what I was really hoping to see was a mangrove pit viper. Oh well, maybe next time.

I did however see a viper last weekend at Thomson Nature Park – a male Wagler's pit viper which had just had a meal.

A close-up of the eye. Vipers are so cool.

0 comments: