Wednesday 1 May 2024

Spiders with Prey

From the Singapore Botanic Gardens, a black wood spider (Nephila kuhlii) eating a bee:

Our Goth friend is an orb-weaving spider, same genus as the golden orb weaver featured last year.

I took the photo with a Fuji 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7 zoom lens (purchased secondhand for only SGD 130) coupled with a Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment. This combination does the job, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a dedicated macro lens for my Fuji, specifically the Laowa 65mm f/2.8. So I'm monitoring Carousell as one does, waiting for a good deal on a used copy.

The Laowa, borrowed from a friend, is what I used for the photo below, taken in Thomson Nature Park. A jumping spider (not sure what species) eating a moth:

Finally, a spider not with prey but with an egg sac. Heteropoda lunula, also known as the Lightning Huntsman, in Pasir Ris Park.

The last photo is from a night walk in Pasir Ris Park. In my last post I said I have a 100% (2 out of 2) record of spotting snakes at Pasir Ris. On last week's night walk, I saw an oriental whip snake (which I've seen before) and also a few dog-faced water snakes, which are apparently pretty common but I hadn't seen them before. I didn't get a good photo though, as they were in turbid waters.

0 comments: