Friday, 2 October 2026

Tintin, Enhanced

I have a new lock-screen background for my PC which is from the cover of a Tintin book, Red Rackham's Treasure.

I found the wallpaper online, but the image quality was not very good. So I asked ChatGPT to improve the resolution, make the lines crisper and get rid of the jpeg artefacts. I specifically asked it not to change the content.

ChatGPT's first attempt (Edit 1) was too cartoonish – flat and oversaturated. I then requested a do-over,  specifically asking it to preserve the hand-painted look of the of the original, and its delicate, less saturated colours.

This last version (Edit 2) is what I now use as my lock-screen. (My active wallpaper is a painting of Guanyin, which you can see in this post.)

Here's a comparison of the three versions:

...and magnified detail:

If you look closely, Snowy's left year is not quite right, and the black reflection lines on the glass have white segments in between which were not there in the original. But these are things which I could have fixed manually, or through another round of prompts. Overall, I was really impressed with how well the AI managed to clean up the image while preserving the organic look of the original.

0 comments: