Tuesday 6 August 2024

Jewel-Like Jumping Spiders

Sometime back I posted phone pics of an electric blue jumping spider, and said "someday I hope to get a good macro shot of one of these beauties".

Since then I've been carrying my camera more frequently when I go for walks in the Botanic Gardens, and keeping an eye out for spiders – and you really do need to keep an eye out, because these guys are tiny!

Besides the electric blue jumping spider (Phintella vittata) that I saw earlier, there are at least two other species with a jewel-like blue-green carapace (this post was very helpful for identification).

1. Cosmophasis thalassina (sea green jumping spider)

With their big round eyes, jumping spiders are incredibly cute and photogenic. Wikipedia describes them in more sedate terms:

the large anterior eyes of Salticidae are adapted to detailed, three-dimensional vision for purposes of estimating the range, direction, and nature of potential prey, permitting the spider to direct its attacking leaps with great precision.

2. Cosmophasis umbratica (shiny jumping spider)

3. Phintella vittata (electric blue jumping spider)

Another reason I love jumping spiders is because they are so curious, often gazing up at me and my camera – perhaps sizing us up as potential prey – and even jumping onto my bag (as in the photo above) or my arm (below). That's my forearm hair, in case you needed a reminder of how tiny they are.

0 comments: