Wednesday 20 March 2024

Protip: Distraction-Free Writing

If you like a clean interface for writing (and who doesn't), I have a couple of recommendations for MS Word and Google Docs.

On MS Word – I've tested this on Word 2007 (home) and Microsoft 365 (work), I can't speak for other versions – press Alt+V followed by U to enter a distraction-free full-screen mode (below left).


In fact, after taking the photo, I decided to change the Word 2007 theme to silver, which feels less obtrusive than the default blue background (Word Options > Popular > Color scheme). Newer versions of Word have more neutral backgrounds anyway.

I mostly use keyboard shortcuts for formatting, so the hidden toolbars are not a problem for me. To revert to normal view, just press Esc.

The second photo shows a distraction-free mode for Google Docs. I use a Chrome extension called Focus for Google Docs. Install the extension, click on Focus mode for hidden toolbars and a soothing grey background, then press F11 for full-screen.

I don't know if these necessarily reduce distraction per se, but the clean interface looks nice and makes the writing process more pleasurable.

Another thing which makes writing more pleasurable is a mechanical keyboard (I got one recently, which you can see in the photos). It has literally improved my quality of life – not even exaggerating. I'll write a separate post about it soon.

0 comments: