Tuesday 11 July 2023

A Subtle Upping of the Emotional Stakes

Among the many songs that I like, there is a niche category where the singer (or band) delivers a line/couplet in a way which infuses it with a sense of heightened emotion or significance. Not an obvious crescendo like the chorus in Europe's The Final Countdown; in fact, the examples I have in mind are not in the chorus at all. They are understated, but in their own way, equally or perhaps even more effective. A subtle upping of the emotional stakes.

Here's a short, off-the-cuff list:

• Taylor Swift, Champagne Problems
"She would've made such a lovely bride
What a shame she's fucked in the head," they said.

• Kimya Dawson, Hadlock Padlock
I wonder if this climbing that you city people do
Ever leads you to a place with such a pretty view
(I've written about this song before.)

• The Beatles, For No One
There will be times when all the things she said will fill your head
You won't forget her
(Is this the greatest breakup song ever written?)

If you can think of other such examples, let me know in the comments :)

On a related note, see Spine Tinglers on Futility Closet, which talks about Salimpoor et al's study, 'The Rewarding Aspects of Music Listening Are Related to Degree of Emotional Arousal'.

4 comments:

Tom239 said...

Frank Zappa (with background vocals by Tina Turner and the Ikettes), Uncle Remus

I'll take a drive to Beverly Hills just before dawn / and knock the little jockeys off the rich people's lawn

Sroyon said...

Thanks Tommy, I will listen to this!

Arshdeep said...

Thinking of a couple of examples that I feel map on to what you describe :
1. Buffy Sainte-Marie's "The Circle Game" - "So the boy who dreamed tomorrow now is twenty/Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true"
2. Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" - "Oh, but now old friends they're acting strange/And they shake their heads and they tell me that I've changed/Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day"

Sroyon said...

Thank you Arshdeep, both these songs are new to me!