Thursday 18 January 2024

Fundamental Questions

Two perfectly-phrased questions (one of them rhetorical) that I came across online:

1. Last year Straits Times published this article (paywalled) with the somewhat clickbaity title: 'Wild boars likely to recolonise whole of Singapore in next decade: Study'.

The article was reposted on HardwareZone, where one forum member asked the all-important question:

means what? good or not good?

Straight down to brass tacks; a classic Singaporean response. I often think about it when reading academic papers or attending conferences.

2. Twitter user Zuvele, on her kindergarten-age nephew:

I asked my nephew if he could count to 1000. He said "no". I asked if he could count to 100 - yes. 200 - yes. Why not 1000? He looked at me wearily and said, "Who has the time?"

0 comments: