Friday 27 May 2022

Travelling Light

I've written before about how I have few personal possessions. I recently moved to Singapore, and my luggage was within the airline's 30 kg limit.

The small suitcase (top right) is carry-on baggage; it fits all the clothes I brought with me. The big suitcase has my photography equipment: several cameras, film rolls, developing tanks and trays, and even my enlarger (a device for making darkroom prints). The rucksack has books, art supplies and miscellaneous stuff.


Some disclosures:
In reality my luggage wasn't so neatly segregated; I rearranged it a bit for the photo. For example, I originally packed some cameras in my carry-on, and while the big suitcase mainly had photography stuff, it also had some clothes to serve as padding.
I bought some clothes (a few shorts and t-shirts) and household items here in Singapore. But my wardrobe is still quite minimal.
It helps that I don't have an immediate need for warm clothing (Singapore rarely gets colder than 24°C) or formals. Some of my clothes, e.g. jumpers, winter jacket and formal suit, are in Kolkata or Copenhagen. I will need to have some of these shipped (or brought) to me, for when I travel to colder climes or attend conferences.
Most of my books are also in Kolkata or Copenhagen. I bought a couple of books here, but otherwise I am relying heavily on Kindle and libraries.

4 comments:

pangolin said...

When I shifted base from Delhi to Kolkata, I travelled with eleven bags and a mandolin on the Rajdhani - I am not joking. Your post fills me with such envy!

(I love a nice post with solid bullet points. So neat.)

Sroyon said...

Oof that sounds stressful...

eclectachrome said...

I LOVE that most of what you brought was photography equipement. When I moved to the UK, my packing situation looked very similar. Very freeing!

Sroyon said...

@eclectachrome: It really is! Why do we need so many clothes anyway? (Though on the other hand, why do we need so many cameras, hmm...)