Tuesday 17 August 2021

Horntail Snail

This is fast becoming Sroyon's Backyard Fauna Blog (in-joke), but fear not, I have a non-faunal post in the works. (By "in the works" I mean I had an idea for a post about a month ago which should, by rights, take me about 15 minutes to write, but I still have not done it. I am slow.)

Speaking of slow, I saw some snails last night, crawling around after the rains. Ran inside, grabbed my camera, macro lens and flash (off-camera, for more dramatic light) and fired off a few shots.

Mike Johnston says that in a dog photo, the nose should be in focus (though I tend to focus on the eyes – sorry Mike!) But what about a snail, specifically, one that's crawling away from the camera: shell or antennae? Even at f/16, I couldn't get its entire body in focus. But snails are patient subjects, so I tried both. Which do you prefer?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally prefer the second one. A picture of a snail is never complete without the twin eye stalks prominently visible haha

Unknown said...

I like the second. Snails have no choice. They are just doing their job. Great pic.

Unknown said...

Hope you are following your dreams

Unknown said...

I also think you should push to have a tax on plastic anything