Friday 26 February 2010

Film Photography

The advantages of digital photography over film photography are so obvious and so numerous that I won’t even bother to list them out. But film photography has its merits too. Because the marginal cost of an exposure is relatively high, film cameras teach you economy; because they don’t offer the luxuries of instant review and multiple attempts, film cameras teach you perfection.

Manual focusing often gives better results than auto-focus, but most digital cameras have auto-focus and it is hard to resist the temptation of using it; my film camera, a manual-focus SLR, leaves me with no such choice. I also like the excitement of waiting to see how the photos come out. And finally, though I almost always use digital cameras these days, I admit to a nostalgic fondness for film photography and everything that goes with it, because it was with a film SLR that I first learnt to take photos.

I took my film camera on a trip to the Indian Botanical Gardens earlier this month, and I was quite pleased with the results.

Photo by Priyanka.
Minolta X-370s, 70 mm, ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/250 sec.

5 comments:

Priyanka said...

I took that? I think I'll ditch the digi for a bit now, I'm liking the surprise factor here a lot :D

Anonymous said...

We discover yet another talent. Excellent picture. Post is as usual. Brilliant.Period.

Sroyon said...

@Priyanka: Okay, I won't take such a drastic step as that.

@Anonymous: I somehow suspect that you are a bot.

senjuti. said...

I love this post. Even I have taken out my film SLR of late. It is another thing that I haven't taken any pictures like that. Beautiful photo. Beautiful hint of fog in the backdrop.

Anonymous said...

@Sroyon: Confirmed. I am a bot. Artificial Intelligence is reaching new levels.