Saturday 11 April 2009

Just Careless

Just Baked is a bakery retail chain launched by Bisk Farm. Their flagship store at Minto Park has the sign pictured on the left. The building next-door, which housed the original store, has the sign pictured on the right.

Evidently, for the just shifted sign, they tried to mimic the lettering on just baked. Just of course could be copied directly. But shifted is a total eyesore! The ascender-height is different, the ‘d’ has a loop unlike the ‘d’ in ‘baked’, the ascender of the ‘t’ (compare it with the ‘t’ in ‘just’) reaches all the way to the ascender-line, and intersects the cross-stroke right in the middle. Most horrifyingly, the ‘e’ is written in a completely different manner! An ordinary lowercase cursive ‘e’ instead of the epsilon in ‘baked’.

I know lettering can be difficult to reproduce, especially if it was not you who did the original lettering, but you can at least get the simple things right. I hope they are more careful with their cookies and cakes.

10 comments:

Dev said...

An acute observation. U have, maybe, a hint of OCD? Or, maybe not. I just thought. You know, most people don't give a damn so long as Bisk farm churns out the right kind of food. We have a unusual species here. :-)

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

see? OCD.

you definitely sound like my mother.

Tommy said...

"Most horrifyingly" is my favorite phrase in this post.

The Reluctant Rebel said...

you gonna tell me wtf an ascender is. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with elevators.

Sroyon said...

@Rick & Doubletake: THIS IS NOT OCD! I'm merely a stickler with an eye for detail.

@Tommy: Maybe you sympathise.

@Saha: In typography, an ascender is the portion of a minuscule letter in a Latin-derived alphabet that extends above the mean line of a font.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascender_(typography)

Indecision Personified said...

OK... I have been trying to be a benign spectator / reader (see.. I did not even comment on the Ranchi Post)... but to this post I just had to say... You are the only person I know who could have come up with this post!

Also: This is OCD, and the reply to saha does not make things any clearer!!! :-)

Dev said...

yes, a stickler with an eye for detail and the writer of a whole disapproving blog, a nice one by all means, on a particular detail that cannot wreak havoc on the world in anyway imaginable. Thats OCD!!! :-D

Pratiti said...

Na na, this is definitely not a symptom of OCD(although you exhibit enough symptoms otherwise to leave no doubt about the fact that you DO have OCD). This is a GLARING error.

new age scheherazade said...

I wish the people who printed the first editions of Joyce's Ulysses had your obsession with typography. Then I would have had a few correct sources for my paper on "the little black dot at the end of Ithaca" (except it's not a dot, but a type-setter's em. whatever that means.)

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

The ARE more careful with their cookies and cakes, it seems. I quite like 'em. :) And your tag globe is so entertaining :D But I should go study now =(