Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Walking Boots

All my life, at least until I entered college, my parents took care of all my expenses. In college I managed to support myself for the most part by doing internships and giving tuitions. After college, for a year, I had a research stipend which allowed me to live comfortably if not luxuriously.

All my life, I have never owned more than three pairs of covered shoes at a time: formal shoes, trainers and football boots. I have trekked in the Himalayas in trainers, and maintained – not without a touch of disdain – that only people who were not surefooted enough needed to buy specialized walking boots.

And now, for climbing a puny 2,930 ft mountain in Wales, I bought myself a pair of walking boots.

This is what happens when you are gainfully employed.

6 comments:

Kroswami said...

incorrect.
this is what happens when you earn thousands of frikkin POUNDS

Sroyon said...

...in an country where everything else also costs thousands of frikkin pounds.

Rahul Saha said...

The boots don't cost thousands of pouds. Kels!

Ravis said...

Sessski.

Ravis said...

London photos and stories?

Priyanka said...

You could dig up bog bodies in those.