Wednesday 5 November 2008

The First Bombay Trip Post, OR My Purpose in Life

To round off my vacation, I went on a four day trip to Bombay, ostensibly to meet up with friends who were interning and seniors who are working in the city. The real purpose of the visit, however, was to eat. (Imho, Bombay is second only to Calcutta when it comes to food.)

I made a list of Places I Must Eat At In Bombay, but with only four days in hand, and generous and overpaid seniors queuing up to take us out for dinner, I sometimes had to eat six or seven meals a day to cover them all.

1. Breakfast Spread (Kyani and Co., Dhobi Talao)
2. Chicken Reshmi Tikka Biryani (Café Noorani, Haji Ali)
3. The All American (Pizzeria, Marine Drive)
4. Chicken Roll (Zaika, Sir J. J. Road)
5. Steak and Onions (Leopold’s Café, Colaba)
6. Mango Ice Cream (Naturals, Marine Drive)
7. Chicken Shawarma (Maroush, High Street Phoenix)
8. Berry Pulao (Britannia, Ballard Pier)
9. Jumbo Sugarcane Juice (Kala Ghoda)

Vegetarians and People who are not going to Bombay in the near future: eat your heart out.

14 comments:

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

aargh. i want all of that, i want all of that now. I think i'll go visit my uncle in bombay soon.

posts like this are cruel, really.

Indecision Personified said...

"...and generous and overpaid seniors queuing up to take us out for dinner..."

queing up is it??? bet you forced most of them through a combination of cooked up treats and 'senti'... and umm... don't you normally also have 6-7 meals in a day?? :P

also... how do you make this grid of photos? and name them and number them and all?

your WV finally threw up a kind of sensible half word (more like a suffix)- "tions"

and yes I realise that this is a huge comment!

The Reluctant Rebel said...

Did you really have to do this to me now?

Pratiti said...

I'll do something to you. I already hit Sujaan with a pencil which I hope posioned him. But I'll do something to you too.I eat chicken stew horlicks horlicks chicken stew all day long. Waaaahaaahaaahaah.

Misha said...

Umm, I dont agree with u much on this...so I have linked ur post in mine, where I have bashed Mumbai food, so that readers get both sides of the picture :-)

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

I wanna go NOW! :(

Abhiroop said...

What a shamelessly underhanded attempt on the part of Misha to coerce people to read her blog....

Fie, fie!!

Sroyon said...

@doubletake: They’re meant to be. *evil grin*

@manavi: No, really. You should see them these days. Their generosity knows no bounds. And I DO NOT have six or seven meals a day. It’s people like you and Abira who give me this gluttonous reputation.

@saha: Go hog at Borough Market. Food therapy.

@pratiti: Now you’re the only one I feel genuinely sorry for.

@misha: But have you had the stuff I pictured here?

@shrabasti: So what’s stopping you?

@lahiri: Right as always. But we bloggers are notoriously cheap in our efforts to win publicity. You should see some of the stuff Karthy pulls off. It’s enough to shake your faith in humanity.

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

School. Exams. Every darn thing. :( All I can think of when I look at this pic is an unlikely adjective me and Pratiti came up with whilst ogling your bacon gijgije pic: [i]killing[/i].

Also, WV's: banting, regue. Uncanny.

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

Whoops. The HTML tag didn't work, apparently. Sorry =)

Pratiti said...

takai, you never eat. this is strange.and oh shoot, the wv's madhumita's nickname. on sroyon's blog. will that please her, do you think? heehaha.

Dhvani said...

After such a spread, is there the slightest chance that you could still have some unfulfilled Bombay culinary dreams?.....It doesn't seem humanly possible, but I hope so, coz I still owe you a treat :)

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

@ tiyas: haha! gotta tell her :D and I dooo eat *hurt*

EvolutioN said...

how come there is no mention of the breakfast at Mondy's? Should try that sometime you know.

The name Leopold's gives me the heebie jeebies... :) if you know what I mean.

Oh, and by the way, love the blog! :)

Love,

E