Sunday, February 20, 2011

Excess Baggage

I am moving to Tokyo for six months, and the law firm arranged for some of my belongings to be shipped in a big metal trunk. The trunk was shipped yesterday while I leave two weeks later.

Packing the trunk was an interesting exercise – I had to sort my stuff into Things I Need in the Next Two Weeks, and Things I Don’t Need in the Next Two Weeks.

So what went in the trunk?

  • Books
  • Things I’ll need only in Japan (like a plug adapter)
  • Things I use infrequently, but which are important nonetheless (like my sleeping bag)
  • Things for seasonal use (like my sandals – not my footwear of choice in London in February)
  • Some things which (I realised) I don’t really need at all.
I was pleased to see that there wasn’t too much of that last category. This is not because I am exceptionally austere; I just don’t like superfluity.

I did not have a lot of luggage when I moved from Calcutta to London, and in the six months I have spent here, my worldly possessions have not increased by much – I’ve bought a t-shirt, a casserole, a pair of walking boots, an overcoat, a backpack and several books. And a plant, which I am leaving behind.

The trunk they sent was huge. I had guessed it would be, when HR very apologetically told us that it will hold ‘only about 82 kilos’ (everything I own taken together weighs about half that). But when it arrived, it surpassed all my expectations. I could ship myself in that trunk, if I wanted. I would even have room for a book to read on the way.

9 comments:

Karthy said...

So I am reading this post and my brain is filtering it thus:

"Need to move your Small Wonder across the seas and worried about shipping? Not anymore! Small Wonder is now available with his very own packaging! A stainless steel metal box which weighs just 82 kilos! No fuss! No Stress! AI at its best!"

I miss Anuj suddenly...this would be the perfect moment to break into the 'small wonder' song! :D

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

Ki cool eta :D

What book are you posing with?

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

Say, when did you remove your 3D tag machine? I liked it!

Sroyon said...

@Karthy: The box doesn't weigh 82 kilos. It *holds* 82 kilos. It would weigh much less with me and a book in it.

@Shrabasti: Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter. Gift from Pratiti.

And I have no idea what happened to the 3D tag machine! I may have deleted it at some point (though I have no recollection of this), or it may have been mysteriously replaced by the normal tags. I quite liked it myself! And I'm amazed you remember it!

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

How could I not remember it?! It was about the only fancy app your blog had, other than the random post generator, which is also a lot of fun. I will go generate some random posts now, onekdin korini. :D

Anindita said...

A trunk to ship your belongings (and perhaps yourself) sounds so romantic.... It has all the trappings of a Victorian saga...

fleur-de-lis said...

O ma! sounds fun! in a trunk! yee-haw!

samar fatima said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
samar fatima said...

Really such an entertaining as well as informative content which you placed here for shipping your Excess Baggage Shipping Really wonderful.