Sunday 2 August 2009

Crossing the Bosphorus

Peter Moore writing about his first visit to Istanbul in The Wrong Way Home:
My guidebook said that the fare from the airport to the centre of town shouldn’t be any more than $10. After haggling for what seemed like another 36 hours, the guy wouldn’t budge from $15. In the end we broke the impasse when he agreed to put the meter on.
I got to see a lot of Istanbul that night. We skirted past the old city walls and crossed the Bosphorus two or three times before arriving in Sultanahmet with the meter sitting exactly on the Turkish lire equivalent of $15. (Emphasis supplied)
The Atatürk International Airport and the Sultanahmet district are on the same side of the Bosphorus. I checked. Peter Moore must have known this too. But I guess it feels odd to write ‘two or four times’.

4 comments:

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

:) You and your observations.

La Figlia Che Piange said...

Nit-bloody-picker! *points and laughs*

Indecision Personified said...

Every time I read one of your posts, I discover new levels of concentration and attention to detail that some people use to read books. No one else i know, would have checked up on so small a detail, or actually blog about it if they even did check up.

So this is still not part of your 'OCD' about largely irrelevent details? :-p

We should probably start labelling such things "Sroyon-isms' a la "poddar-isms" :-)

Sroyon said...

@IP: "that some people use to read books"
I didn't get that part. I was reading a book.
And about Poddar-isms, yes, I would be proud to be elevated into the same league as that illustrious gentleman.